Action Dating: The Gift of the Season of Singleness Revisted

Looking at “The Gift of Singleness” article I wrote over two years ago, I have noticed that the insights are very good but that the article is a little imbalanced for certain situations. It must be stated that I was not writing about an actual “gift of singleness” but more so referring to the “season of singleness” as a gift from God, one of the only times in our lives to be fully and 100% devoted to God without having to take care of our spouses, etc. I think having a godly perspective on dating is very important and I think the issue holds two tensions that need to be awkwardly balanced. This article needs to be balanced in light of the previous one. I admit that I have swung from one extreme to the other but I do feel that now is a time where our generation needs to swing from the wait on God perspective to a more active stance on the issue (while continuing to hold both tensions in the balance if that’s at all possible!).

This article is only written to those single people who are very interested in getting married in the near future. If that’s not you now, please enjoy and take advantage of the freedom that your singleness offers!

Men: Active Pursuing

There are many singles today who are lovers of Jesus but are experiencing severe loneliness and even depression because their needs are not being met with a spouse. Adam was lonely before he even sinned. Humans were created for one another, man and woman together in perfect union. Loneliness is a very real thing that is unfortunately plaguing many single Christians today. I must encourage guys to stop waiting for God to point them to the perfect woman who is going to be their wife before they do anything. Dating is how people find out if someone is a good fit for them or not and some Christians need to get over the hurdle of believing that the first person they ask on a date is going to be their wife (unless God has spoken to them otherwise of course).

I encourage Christian men to take some risks, date women to get to know them and once you get to know them you will know whether or not they are a good fit for you. And in the process, you will learn how to relate to women and hopefully develop some positive friendships in the process as long as you continue to put God first. And a hint to men, you become more attractive when you are intentional and actively pursue a woman. Look for windows of opportunity and go for it. These change and when it’s too late, it really might be too late. Second hint, many women are more open than you think; many will give you a chance and go out on a date with you if you just ask. If it doesn’t work out, shake off the dust, at least you know that it wasn’t a good fit, then try again. If you don’t ever risk and get over the fear of rejection, you may end up old, single, and lonely, if that’s what you want.

Women: Active Waiting

And to my Christian women friends, rather than us adoring from a distance and creating this wonderful fantasy of how we will one day fall in love with this ideal man, let's breakthrough into reality. Is there a way to pursue men as a friend without being the pursuer of a relationship? Is there any way to spend time with him, whether it’s in a group or out to coffee, then at least we will know if he really is that ideal man we’ve made him up to be or if he is just a creation of our imagination. And then if he’s not the ideal man we thought he was, we won’t have to spend endless hours, days, weeks, and months wasting our thoughts fantasizing about someone whom we thought could be the “one.” I strongly believe that it’s not our job to pursue men, but at the same time I think it’s perfectly ok to put yourself out there and pursue a friendship with a man we might be interested in. We need to continue to put God first, be ourselves, but also learn how to flirt, smile, captivate, and be more open to the men in our lives.
As we seek first the kingdom of God with everything inside of us, seek to be led by the Spirit, and remain open to receive all that God might want to give us, I believe there will be strength in the midst of the waiting.

And if we are thinking about putting on makeup, dressing cuter, looking hot and sexy, yes that is something that will attract men, which is a good thing, but I think above all, if we choose to do any of these things, we need to do them for ourselves first and foremost. If we are content with ourselves, make up or no makeup, that is what is going to show the most in our interactions with men. If someone’s heart is bursting inside them, they are full of smiles and love, and open, the right people will be drawn to them.

I really feel the season of preparation in the midst of the gift of the season of singleness needs to be capitalized on. I think that the best relationships happen when a woman is content in who and how God has made her, then she enters a relationship in a giving mode not a taking one. Granted, no one will ever be perfect enough before entering into a relationship but why not use that time before marriage to intentionally ask God to prepare us while we are actively waiting.

All:
So to all, I think the key word really is RISK. Let us begin to put ourselves out there and take chances with people. As long as this is done with respect, each person can only begin to grow up more, learn from mistakes (yes, there will be many but we will improve with time, I promise), and get closer to marriage. I encourage us to ask God to open up our eyes and hearts. He may want to bring us someone whom we have not previously considered but who is right in front of us.

Clothes: The Perfect Allegory
Just last year I needed to by a warm coat for my new life in England, yes in California we don't have such strange weather. Anyway, I looked and looked for the ideal coat. I was close minded to all coats over a certain price range as well as all coats with furry hoods. There was one coat that I really liked the style of. It seemed to be totally me but when I tried it on, it didn't fit right. I did actually consider buying it anyway. Regardless of how good it looked on the hanger, realistically it wouldn't have suited me because it didn't fit right. Finally, after looking for hours for that perfect coat, a friend convinced me to broaden my horizon. She encouraged me to at least try one of the coats with the furry hoods just to see. Turns out that I tried one, it was a great fit, and I ended up buying it.

All this to say, sometimes the style we think will be the perfect fit doesn't end up working at all. And there might be times we risk missing the unexpected perfect fit because we are too close minded to give it a chance. We will never know if it fits unless we try it on. What do we really have to lose anyway? We might just make a friend in the process, or even better, who knows, we might end up with that perfect fit after a few tries. There might just be greater things God has for us if we are more open minded to possibilities we otherwise never considered. Just a thought.

As I am in a continual stage of processing my outlook on the subject, would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks Jen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article, Jen. My prayers go out to you that you'll soon try on a "coat that fits" : )

Anonymous said...

I read your article and agree about the risk factor.

In order to marry someone, you need to take a few steps like getting to know eachother, spend time, talk, have fun, asf, asf...

I recently had a situation with a girl who really, really liked me...She was beautiful, on the same spiritual level, about the same generation...i.o.w. had nearly everything one can think of to be THE ONE for meant for me. The problem was: I didn't love her, I didn't feel anything for her...I was asking myself the question: Is it enough that she apparently has everything required to engage in a relationship? Will God eventually give me a feeling of love for her and can I take the risk of going into a relationship when I am not 100% convinced?
I know there are people who make lists and when they meet the person who fulfill the required criteria, they don't hesitate to take the step of marriage....I have a problem big time with that! What do you say about the importance of the initial emotion in order to go into a relationship?

Jen said...

Dear Anonymous', thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it. And to Mr. Anonymous who asked my opinion about your situation, here are my thoughts.

If you at least like the girl and might be interested in her, go for it. You don't need to be 100% sure she will be your wife in order to take her out on a few dates. That's the beauty of dating, it is experimenting and getting to know the person to figure out if they are the right fit for you or not.

And I am kind of like you in the way that I would like to know 100% that something is of God before attempting it, especially in relation to a life long partner, but I have come to realize in my life that when am I ever truly 100% certain I have heard God's voice on a matter really? There have been a few times where I truly believed that I heard God loud and clear and so I moved forward. Sometimes I had been right and sometimes I had heard wrong. There have been SO many other times though, when I thought it might be God leading me in a situation but wasn't 100% sure and just had to try it out. In all situations though, I wasn't being led astray but was just risking and attempting to discern His will for my life and growing up in the process.

Ok, back to the dating thing. In my recent "research" on the topic, I have come across two couples who were getting to the engagement stage of the relationship and still were not 100% sure. One went away for a month to pray about it and while he didn't necessarily hear the voice of the Lord directing him to marry this woman, he also did not hear Him saying to not marry her. He felt he loved her and the timing was right and so he married her. They are still married to this day and have a teenage girl.

Another couple I talked to went through a struggle towards marriage. She was sure about him but he wasn't 100$ sure about her. It wasn't until they went to London to buy her engagement ring that God totally gave him confirmation in that process. He had prayed for confirmation that he was doing the right thing and God gave it to him.
These are both engagement stories where I do feel it would be nice to know that we know that we are marrying the right person for us.

In the initial stages of dating though, I think it is wise to take bigger risks and explore the possibilities of opening up your heart, giving a potential partner a chance, and continuing to surrender the relationship to the Lord. Feelings may have the possibility to grow in that setting where they might not if no one gave it a chance. Initial attraction is important, but it's not everything. Sometimes people's beauty grows as you open yourself up and get to know them more. If you are both following God, you can't really go wrong, only be redirected possibly and grow and mature in the process.
That's my two cents, hope its helpful.

Jerry King said...

Good thoughts on this Jen, I'm thinking about this also in terms of job search - 'ideal' job vs. 'just settling' - nobody wants to 'settle', and I don't believe God wants us to 'settle' for anything; and yet we do need a good fit, even if it isn't the 'perfect' fit.

Jen Miskov said...

True that Jerry, I totally agree! I am now in a similar situation and it almost feels like job interviews are like first dates, seeing if it will be a good fit or not for the time being.
Thank God we can be led by the Spirit in all things and where ever we are in the process of not settling for silver, we can continue on in Him to receive the gold He has for us ;) And enjoy the journey along the way. Thanks for your thoughts!

Ania said...

Nicely written.
I do agree with your statements and encouragements. I know about the cases where people did not have to make a decision to date, peruse, etc. someone – a miracle just happened like in a fairly tale, but this is not common.
It is like with everything in life. You can get a job by ‘luck’ even tough you did not put much effort to find it, you can buy some cute dress on offer (clothes ;) by a pure coincidence on your way to a bookstore, etc. In the same way you can meet your husband/wife who is a doctor in a hospital were you went after having a bike accident ;)
But these are sort of exceptions. Most things which happen in our life are based on our decisions/choices good or wrong but usually harmless or even enriching (like dating someone who is not meant for us for life). Maybe we are sometimes lazy waiting for this miracle instead of doing our job, using our mind, following our heart and spending time and effort on finding out if he/she is the fit or not. Maybe we are also very fearful to be hurt.
…“whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
Gods gives us opportunities, people on our way, we have to peruse them (of course with His help and blessing)…
So, guys, stop being lazy and do not be afraid! ;)…if you want to find your fit. God will bless you whatever choice you make once it does not harm anyone nor offend God.