How I almost grew up without a Dad: His Story part 2, Financial Miracle

This is part 2 of my Dad's miracle story that happened when I was only a few weeks old. I love that fact that it wasn't just the physical miracle that happened when people reached out to pray for the first time in their lives, but also that even in the midst of that, God provided financially in miraculous ways as well! In the midst of potential devastation because of career change, needing to borrow money from the parents, and learning how to walk again as a 37 year old, God provided in every way. I think it is important to remember and celebrate God's faithfulness in our lives and I pray that these true accounts of God's divine healing touch and financial provision will encourage and spark hope and faith in all who read it. Most of all, I pray that remembering and sharing these accounts of God's faithfulness will, as my Dad would say, give "God all the glory." 


Detour: Part 2
By Joe Miskov III

When I got home, I learned the truth for the first time. 
I found out that Dee was told that I would die or be in a wheel chair the rest of my life!  

However, now it was time to walk again, which required lots of physical therapy and walking with a walker around the house and on the bike trail.  I got to know Yorba Regional Park pretty well.  With everyone’s help, I started to walk normally in about a month or so.  

It was an ongoing miracle.   

FINANCIAL MIRACLE
Because of my condition and Dee being on maternity leave, we had no income. We had to borrow money from our parents.  We also got $547.00 cash in the mail from Washington State.  We didn’t know anyone in Washington but  the $547.00 was the EXACT amount of our new house payment.

The doctors didn’t know for sure, but said my transverse myalitis may have been caused by the material that we poured on the clocks and the tables I made. That was the end of Original Wood Abstracts.  

CAREER CHANGE
I had no idea what kind of work I would do next.   

One of my doctors suggested that I get involved in a job that would be more physical. I finally decided to start a landscaping/gardening business.  It sounded like a healthy way to go.
 
A new chapter was born. New name: “Mow is Me.”

The first thing I needed was a lawnmower.  I checked the ads and found a mower for $35.00.  It looked big and professional and had a five horsepower motor.  It smoked a little, but sure made a lot of noise! I had an edger, but I had to buy a weed eater.  I’d never used one of those either.
I used to cut grass when I was a kid and that was the extent of my experience.   I probably needed a truck, but our 74' VW Bus would do just fine, for now.    

GOD'S ABUNDANT PROVISION
Another minor problem I had was that I didn’t have any customers.  I picked up a Christian want ad paper called The Marketplace and placed an ad. We got a great response so much so that I had to tell Dee to stop praying.
“We have enough,” I told her. 

I had to go out and give estimates, but to make matters worse, I didn’t know what to charge.  I finally got organized and it was time to go to work. What really saved me in the early days were the customers.  They were great!  Instead of lying to them about my experience, I told them my story. They all knew my history and my family’s history. 
 
I learned that when you open up about yourself, they open up to you.  

I got to go inside and look at pictures and make friends.  I would tell Dee what happened each day and she would ask me if I worked at all.  I realized I did more talking than working, but I managed to get the work done too. I finally got a truck and a new mower.  As I progressed, I learned how to trim roses correctly, fix sprinklers and keep most of the yards green! 
 
After fifteen years and a lot of hot summers, I finally quit the gardening business.  My next endeavor would be Gobblers Turkey Jerky, thirty flavors, and Cookies.  But  I’ll have to tell you more about that adventure later on…

From Jen...
I love God's faithfulness in and through my family's lives but also something that happened over 35 years ago that encourages me this very day in my present situation. How amazing that as we focus on loving Jesus and doing His will that even if we don't see the provision in this moment, He has already accounted for all things to bring us deeper into His destiny for our lives. I could go on about this but I will leave that for another time so instead I can wish my dad a happy 70th birthday today! 

I love your passion for people and loving the overlooked, your sense of adventure, your fearlessness in trying new things, the creative way that you have recently decided to eat bananas, your love for your family. Your life makes a difference and I am so blessed and thankful to God that He miraculous healed you and blessed me with you all these wonderful years. To many more wonderful years of your love spilling over onto others. I love you dearly and celebrate the life that God has given you! Love, Jen


No comments: