Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

One of the things I have come across in my studies of the Azusa Street Revival is the emphasis that they placed on Baptism of the Holy Spirit. For those of you who haven't heard much about Azusa Street, it was a revival in Los Angeles in 1906 that was started by an African American named William Seymour (some scholars believe that Charles Parham, who was white, started it). Although also still controversial, many people believe that Azusa Street was the start of Pentecostalism, or at least it played a very big role in the roots of the movement. For a time, even in the midst of Jim Crow laws, blacks and whites worshiped the Lord together, people were radically baptized in the Holy Spirit and empowered. Many people, after they were baptized in the Holy Spirit, within days or even hours of their experience, left for the mission field. Missionaries went to all parts of the world from Los Angeles in those few years and people from all around the world were drawn to Los Angeles to be a part of this "Pentecost" experience there. One of the key things God used to stir people up then was putting a deep desire and hunger to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and to speak in tongues. Spirit baptism was one of the main focuses of the revival itself.

What I personally have been pondering lately is, where is Spirit baptism today? I don't know when the last time was that I heard, in any church, the pastor have an altar call for people who wanted to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. I can't remember the last conversation I had on that subject before I got to school here. It seems to have faded away and maybe a reason is because it has become a bit more normal in our era than it was 100 years ago. And I am sure it is still alive and well in some circles. Either way, it makes me wonder. And I know that God likes to do new things with different people. But I still can't get out of my mind the whole importance and drive that Spirit baptism was for the people back then. They were so hungry, not just for a little of the Spirit, but to be totally immersed in His presence, empowered and anointed even more to spread the Gospel. If hungering for the baptism of the Holy Spirit was key in causing a revival that spanned the globe and birthed the Pentecostal movement and then later contributed to the Charismatic movement, might there be something there for us to reconsider and look at again in our own day? What if more and more people were not just "touched" by the Spirit or "filled" by the Spirit today, but instead were fully immersed in and covered from head to toe in the Spirit? I think it might be something to prayerfully consider. Just my random processing thoughts which might totally change in a month or so but I am open to dialogue and hear others thoughts on this subject. I would also be VERY interested in hearing your story of your baptism of the Holy Spirit if you are willing to share. Thanks for listening,
Jen

2 comments:

mary scantlin said...

I relate to your question.It's true seldom will you hear a church provide the opportunity for laying on of hands to recieve the baptism in the Spirit. This ought not to be, since HE is the third person of the Godhead! Jesus said this was the Father's Promise, the comforter. He brings communication from Jesus and shows things to come as well as SO many other gifts that we can't afford to be without in this chaotic world!Ishare many testimonies to these powerful gifts on my site http//www.maryscantlinministries.com

Jen Miskov said...

Mary, I am glad that you appreciate the work of the Holy Spirit as well. Yes, it is great when God comes and moves mightily in people's lives. Thanks for sharing and blessings on your ministry,
Jen