When Even Tongues Must Cease: His All-Pervading Presence

The answer to all our problems is here, in His presence...written by Carrie Judd Montgomery almost 100 years ago...
“Early this morning as the power of God was upon me, and I was recognizing, as I so often love to do, the presence of the indwelling Comforter, and worshipping Him in His temple, with the Father and the Son, I was led out in prayer for different things, but all at once He said to me, ‘I want you to recognize definitely that I am filling the temple.’ ...He wanted the recognition that every part of spirit, soul and body was pervaded with His presence, and that meant, as He revealed to me His meaning, that I should drop even prayer for the time and be occupied with the presence of His glory, and I said, ‘Oh, God, the Holy Ghost, Thou art filling Thy temple,’ and immediately, just as though a little vial of attar of roses had been broken in the room and every part of it would soon be filled with the perfume, so that the presence of His glory sensibly pervaded every part of my being and even love and prayer were lost in worship. Then I thought of the time in the Old Testament when the temple was so filled with God’s glory that the priest could not even stand to minister.

There is, therefore, an experience beyond service and beyond prayer, and that is a revelation of His own personality to such an extent that there is nothing but adoring worship filling our being. Usually it is a blessed experience to be able to speak in tongues, to let the heavenly song flow out, but there are times when even tongues cease, when His presence is so all-pervading and the atmosphere so heavenly that I cannot talk at all in any language, but the power of His blessed Spirit upon me is so marvelous that it seems as though I were almost dwelling in heaven.
I hope this testimony will make one press on for the fulness….”

“O beloved friends, there is a life on wings. I feel the streams of His life fill me and permeate my mortal frame from my head to my feet, until no words are adequate to describe it. I can only make a few bungling attempts to tell you what it is like and ask the Lord to reveal to you the rest. May He reveal to you your inheritance in Christ Jesus so that you will press on and get all that He has for you.”
Amen and Amen to that!

This was taken from an article by Carrie called “The Life on Wings: The Possibilities of Pentecost” from her journal Triumphs of Faith 32:8 (Aug 1912), 175-176. The article was taken from an address she gave at the Stone Church, Chicago in 1910.

No comments: