Airplanes and Moravians

After a day with many hassles at the airport and being sleep deprived, I sat in seat 21 F on an airplane heading from Germany to England. Two seats over I noticed a lady working on her computer and it looked like she was writing something. Surprisingly, in the midst of my sleepiness and wanting to go home to crash out, I asked her if she was a writer. She told me she was a historian and when I asked her what she was working on she told me she was writing a book about the Moravians. Wow! I was in shock and I think she was too. A young man was supposed to sit in-between us for the flight but instead she worked it out so she could sit next to me and chat.

The thing that was shocking for me was that I was sitting next to a historian with a PhD who was going from Germany to England to do further research and get her book published about this community. The thing that was shocking to her was that I had even heard of the Moravians. For those of you who have no idea who these Moravians are, because most people don’t, they were a group that Zinzendorf greatly influenced in the 1700’s in which sent out more missionaries than they had in their hometowns. John Wesley was also greatly struck by the Moravians sense of security in God when he was on a troubled ship and the Moravians, instead of being frightened, were singing to the Lord.

So it was great chatting with this lady I met on a random flight and nice to meet more and more people who are in a similar direction to where I am headed.

No comments: